Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Ribbon Wreath

This just may be my new favorite craft of all time.  It is so easy and fun to make, and it can be used with a variety of color schemes for different holidays, seasons and themes.
I first saw this project here at She's {kinda} Crafty (which, by the way, is a wonderful site with very practical, easy craft projects).  This gal actually sells them, but I figured they couldn't be too hard to make, so I clicked on a few of her links and googled a couple of others, to come up with a combination of instructions that seemed to make the most sense to me (These were some of the most helpful instructions.).

If you want to make this yourself, you can follow the instructions below, or click on any of the links above.
Also, if you're not particularly crafty, but would like a wreath- if you'll buy the ribbon, I'd be happy to make one for you!

Notes Before You Begin:
Buy more ribbon than you think you'll need.  It takes a lot of ribbon.  I'd say to plan on about 10 spools of ribbons (including at least 4-5 spools of the widest ribbon).  
It's possible to do this by sewing, but since I can't sew, I use hot glue.  
What You Need:
* Styrofoam wreath form (the larger the form, the more ribbon you'll need)
* One spool of wide ribbon for wrapping the wreath form
* 10+ spools of grosgrain ribbon for decorating
* Hot glue gun & lots of glue
* Scissors
* Ruler
* Pencil

Instructions:
Wrap the wreath form in wide ribbon.  This doesn't have to look good since it will mostly be covered by the other ribbons.  But, it makes for a good platform for the glue & ribbons and covers up any stray styrofoam.
I simply wrapped the ribbon and then secured it with a couple of pins at the end (I'm sure hot glue would work just as well.)
Cut ribbons into 4.5-5 inch strips.  I measured the first few of each spool of ribbon and then eye-balled the rest.  They definitely don't have to be exact.
 Place a bit of hot glue on one end of each strip- leaving about 1/2 inch at the bottom. (I found that I could put glue across 3 or 4 strips and still have time to deal with them before the glue got cold.)
Fold each strip over onto itself, creating a loop of ribbon.
Do this with every spool of ribbon until you have piles of ribbon loops.
Now the fun begins!  Spread open the bottom of each loop.  Put a little glue on that part and stick it down on the wreath form!
I started with the wider ribbons and made my way around the wreath.  That way, I could fill in later with smaller ribbons.
On the inside and outside of the wreath forms, just glue down the loops along the sides.
If you look closely you can see that I glued the bulk of the ribbon facing in one direction.
Then I added some more of the smaller ribbons going all different directions.  And I also glued some of the smaller ribbons on the inside & outside of the wreath.
I discovered that the more ribbon I used, the better the wreath looked.
So, pick a few colors you like, buy a bunch of ribbon and have fun crafting

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! I might have to use it on my next MOPs newsletter (I put the monkey bread recipe in last month's ;) And try it at my next home...

Lynsey said...

Just found your blog via Triad Moms on Main. I adore She's {kinda} crafty but I don't sew either so thanks for showing me how to make this wreath without sewing. Love your blog!

Unknown said...

your wreath came out really cute. I like the colors you picked!