Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Running

I just ran a mile at the gym!
I realize this may not be cause for celebration in your world, but it was nothing short of a miracle in mine! 

I'm just not a runner.
I wish I could be.
But I actually feel like something keeps me physically incapable of doing such a simple thing (for the record, my dad says he's always felt the same way).
Even at my most fit, I still haven't been able to run well.  
I can't explain it...my body just breaks down.  
I never hit that "stride".  

I can swim for days. I can dance for hours.  I just can't run.

But...I've been making myself try it again.
And today, for the first time, I made it the entire 8 laps around the track at the gym...one mile!

I've been making myself run 4 consecutive laps (1/2 mile) and then walking the other 4.  But today, I got to the end of the 4th and felt like I could keep going.  So, I did, and by the end of the 5th lap, I was actually feeling good (perhaps this is a taste of the "stride" runners talk about).  
I stopped after running the mile, although I honestly felt like I probably could have kept going.  I didn't want to mess up a good thing!

So, while this may not happen again the next time I go, I can't tell you how excited I was to accomplish such an amazing feat for once!

I'm not entirely sure why I'm so hung up on wishing I could run.  But, I''m starting to get some insight.  Actually, Julia Roberts was on Oprah yesterday & she was talking about running a 1/2 marathon.  She said that she did it partly to prove to her children how strong the female body is.  
That statement just got me.  
I want my son to know that a woman can be physically healthy and strong.  And I can't help but thinking that running is a great way to show him that.  Even if I only ever run one mile at a time, at least he will know that I take care of my body and respect it-  just like he should respect women & their bodies.  Does that make sense? 

So, for now, I'm going to do my best to run...4 laps at a time.  And if I run a mile again- super! 
I'll continue to be challenged by women I know who are moms of multiple children and find the time & strength to show their children how strong & healthy a woman can be.  Thanks to Julie, Sarah, Courtney and all you other mom-runners out there for being an encouragement to me!

4 comments:

Allyson said...

I began running this past year when I ran with my sister. I was unaware that I could actually run any distance! (My high school memories were quite dreadful). After realizing I COULD run, I purchased an MP3 player. I can now run 3 miles without stopping. I may be slow, but I am so amazed at what my body is learning to do. Good job!

Karamella said...

Who knows, maybe next time you can run the 5K with SW :-) (For the record, I am NOT a runner, bad knees and such, but I will walk all day!! Italy "trained" me for that ;-)

Laura Turner said...

Don't worry, Berkley will know you are super super strong whether or not you are a runner.

But do it anyway; runners have kickin bodies.

Courtney said...

awesome, courtney! you do know i could never run either, right?? i tried 3 times in my life...like REALLY tried. and couldn't do it. just couldn't.

but then, after having bailey, i tried again and it worked. and stuck. and i'm addicted. 30 miles a week! insane!!! pat still thinks it's hilarious and my parents still can't believe it!

even if you don't become "a runner" i love your thoughts. we DO need to take care of our bodies. and it's a great thing for our kids to see!