Saturday, July 28, 2012

Chick-fil-A

Okay- I have a lot of catching up to do on this blog.  There's a lot to say, lots of pictures to post, and a lot to consider...
But I need to write about this while it's fresh on my mind.


In the last week or so there has been a rise (mostly internet related) regarding Dan Cathy's recent profession against homosexuality.  This led to folks claiming they were going to boycott Chick-fil-A.  This led to other folks claiming just how absurd it is to "punish" a company for its founder's family beliefs.  
I would like to offer that there is a third option that I have yet to see anyone else talk about.


About 9 months ago, Stephen came home and said, "Hey- I have some articles I think you need to read."  The two of us our poured over these articles that referenced the money that the Chick-fil-A corporation gives to several "family rights" organizations.  We did a little more research into those particular organizations, and what we saw left us dumb-founded, saddened, and we knew exactly what we needed to do.  As a family, we had to stop going to Chick-fil-A.


Here's the background:
I do not care that the owner of Chick-fil-A has theological issues with homosexuality. While that's not where I fall in my understanding of scripture & God's nature, I can certainly appreciate his perspective, and believe that God's kingdom is big enough for us to vary in our beliefs.  More power to him as he tries to lead a faithful life and makes awesome food.
But...what Stephen & I learned from our research and can't just let slide is what we discovered that some of the organizations actually do that Chick-fil-A's charitable arm has chosen to donate to.  
While Chick-fil-A restaurants do not actively discriminate against gay patrons, several of the organizations that Chick-fil-A gives money to most certainly do just that and more.
You see- it's not just an issue about how you feel about homosexuality.  Some of these organizations have some pretty stern positions that affect human rights in general.  They boldly stand for things that my family does not value, and that we don't believe God values.  In our eyes, those organizations promote injustice in this world.


Here's our decision:
We have been convicted over the last few years about the stewardship of how we spend our money...well- not simply how we spend our money, but where we spend our money.  Money is power, folks.  Money talks.  
And so, my family has made the choice not to give our money to a corporation that gives a good chunk of change to organizations that strive for a world that looks differently from what we believe God is calling the world to be.  
We've made choices about other corporations we won't frequent due to human rights issues (not limited to the rights of homosexuals), and yet I know that we are not perfect in our "shopping boycott".  Certainly there are still goods we buy, restaurants we frequent, and services we use that blatantly, or even subversively contribute to hate and discrimination and injustice, but we just haven't heard about it yet.  But, if we find out specific examples of that happening, we will make the choice to take our services elsewhere.  
So for now, we can't turn a blind eye to what we know about Chick-fil-A.  I can't believe that even 10 cents of what I paid for my lemonade or waffle fries is going to promote injustice and discrimination.  
Mr. Cathy is most certainly free to believe whatever he wants and he is absolutely free to have a thriving business and donate that company's money as he chooses; but I am also free to make a choice about where my family's money is spent, and it won't be to support those things.
And for the record- I really do miss that lemonade & waffle fries.

2 comments:

Ross said...

Thank you for this insight. I would love to know more about those organizations that the Chick-fil-A corporate supports. I haven't spent any money at Chick-fil-A in months because of some of those organizations, but I never really made a declaration that I was boycotting until recently. I couldn't believe how much protest I received from people. I was shocked at the people who were offended that said I wasn't eating there. I really hate it for the franchise owners that had nothing to do with Dan Cathy (not Truett) that made the statements, but I must take a stand somewhere and frankly it's the only statement that I get to make. I don't get to make nationwide proclamations that are reported all over as news so this is my small way of saying that I don't agree with him.

Laura Turner said...

Beautifully written. Sometimes this sort of grace is not easy to maintain...such a gift of yours!