Wednesday, April 14, 2010

32nd Birthday!

Yesterday was my birthday!  I've always enjoyed celebrating birthdays- mine & others', and this one was no exception.

Saturday I headed to Fuquay Varina to look at bridesmaid's dresses with my sister-in-law, Mary Kathryn.  MK, Kathy & I then headed to Raleigh for lunch & a little shopping.  They were both so gracious & decided to start celebrating my birthday that day!  Kathy bought me an awesome dress (pictures next week) that I plan on wearing for a friend's wedding.  We went in a fun jewelry shop & I found a cross necklace that I loved!  I've been looking for a new cross for over a year now & haven't found just the right one.  Well, I love this one, and Mary Kathryn was sweet enough to give it to me for my birthday!
On my actual birthday, I actually had a little bit of a rough morning.  As I reflected on it, I realized that it was primarily out of loneliness.  This is the first year that I haven't been at a job, working with other people on my birthday.  Or if my birthday's been on a weekend, I've been with Stephen and friends or family.  I've never been alone on my birthday before.  I was also a little sad that I wouldn't be getting a card from my Nanna this year.  Birthdays were always very important to her, and I missed the sweet way she expressed her love through sending cards.

Although some of my feelings were valid, I really needed to get over myself.  So, I treated myself to breakfast at K&W...yum!
After talking through my birthday loneliness with my mom, that afternoon she sent flowers to my house (in addition to the fun flip-flops she'd already sent in the mail!).
 
Also, my friend Melissa stopped by with a bag of "good ice"- pellet ice from the ice maker at the church where I used to serve!
Stephen came home early (always a treat) and immediately took Berkley out of my arms & told me I had an appointment to get my hair cut in 10 minutes.  I headed over to the salon & enjoyed a simple shampoo & haircut that helped me relax & feel pretty!
Once I was home, we headed out onto the deck with Berkley, and played while Stephen cooked steaks for dinner.   We had a wonderful dinner together followed by birthday cake!!!
What kind of cake is it, you ask?  Okay...maybe you don't have to ask....
Pink Lemonade Cake!!!
Stephen gave me a card "from" Berkley.  (I cried when I saw the envelope...'cause I'm a softy like that)
And Stephen's card included my birthday gift (as if I needed more)...two tickets to see Carole King & James Taylor in concert!  I can't tell you how thrilled I am about this concert!  When I heard they were going to be doing a show together I told Stephen, but just knew he had forgotten it, and certainly wasn't going to get me tickets.  Well, he remembered, he got me tickets, and I'm going!!  The concert is actually when Stephen is out of town, so I'm going to be taking my mom with me.  I can't wait!  He did such a great job of making my evening such a special one.
Among birthday cards I received from sweet friends, I got one from my dad that included money to go get a massage.  I will definitely be doing that sometime soon...it's been a long time since I've had one!

It was truly a wonderful birthday & I felt incredibly loved.  Of course, it's not about the gifts, but it's about the love that my friends & family expressed to me.  I am so grateful to be well loved with such great friends & family.  It was another perfect birthday!

3 comments:

Karamella said...

I've been looking for a cross also... love the one you got! Great choice :-) Glad you had a great day! Sorry it started out slow and sad. I can understand your feelings. Love you!

Laurie said...

i teared up when i saw the card from berk too!!

Courtney said...

happy belated birthday! sounded like a PERFECT day!!! you are very loved!