Monday, March 01, 2010

Nanna

One week ago today,  my dear Nanna let go of this life and breathed her last breath.  While I am incredibly sad and miss her so much already, it was joyful news to hear that she had passed.
After a week in the hospital, Nanna had been moved to a rehab facility which she absolutely hated.  Each day that my mom went to see her she complained about it (and it was a good facility).  She hated doing her physical therapy, no matter how hard I tried to convince her that it was just like her exercise classes as the Complex (the recreation facility in her town).  Considering how active my Nanna was, that alone was a strong indicator that she had given up the fight.  She was miserable.  My mom was miserable watching her.  I was miserable knowing that this woman who had been full of life only a month or so ago, was no longer to feed herself, or perform normal bodily functions on her own.  
It was time.
I was so afraid she would have to live in that rehab facility for months and months.  That wasn't going to be good for anyone- least of all Nanna.  The Lord heard my prayers.

I can't begin to express my sadness over this, and there are so many things I will miss about this beautiful woman.  
I will miss the way she said my name with that sloooooow Southern drawl...Co-aht-ney.  
I will miss the way she allowed me to hug her much longer than she was probably comfortable.  Since I was a child, I would just hold onto her for the longest time, and she simply received it...never pushed away...she just hugged right back. 
I will miss the way she was funny without meaning to be, but was willing to laugh at herself right along with us.
I could go on....but I won't...the tears are flowing as I write this.

Nanna will be missed so much, but I have to believe she is having a great time playing tennis in heaven!
Here is the obituary the funeral home printed in the papers:

Jean Mills Smith
(Died February 22, 2010)

Jean Mills Smith
Mrs. Jean Mills Smith, age 87, died Monday, February 22, 2010, at Piedmont Medical Center. The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Thursday, February 25, 2010 at First Baptist Church Chapel (Old Sanctuary), with the Rev. Ralph Riley and the Rev. Courtney Mills Jones Willis officiating. Burial will be at Unity Cemetery.
Born in Fort Mill, Mrs. Smith was a daughter of the late John Barron Mills and Ziza Young Mills. She graduated from Fort Mill High School and attended Winthrop College. Mrs. Smith was retired from Winthrop University and was a life long member of First Baptist Church. She was a charter member of the Dogwood Garden Club and competed in the S.C. Senior Sports Classic. She was the widow of Cody W. Smith. We will all miss her love, concern and sense of humor.
Surviving are her son, Cody W. Smith, Jr. and his wife, Betty, of Mt. Pleasant; two daughters, Jeannie Smith Jones and Ziza Smith Epps and her husband Keith, all of Fort Mill; six grandchildren, Tripp Smith, Jennifer Smith Rogers, Shannon Smith, Courtney Willis, Sutton Epps and Lucas Epps; and four great-grandchildren.
The family will receive friends from 6 to 8 p.m., Wednesday, February 24, 2010 at First Baptist Church Chapel and other times at the home, 305 Banks Street.
Memorials may be made to Meals on Wheels, c/o York County Council on Aging, P.O. Box 1267, Fort Mill, SC 29716.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

OMG, I can see so much of your mom in your grandmother. And the fact that you officiated the ceremony and did all that you did--I am really impressed by your strength. I am tearing up just thinking about it. I know it was beautiful.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.