Thursday, February 11, 2010

Food, Inc.

In the last couple of weeks, most people I know have seen this movie & tons of folks have been blogging about it as well.  So, after seeing it a few weeks ago, I figure it's time for me to get around to blogging about it too.
If you haven't seen this movie- you should.  It is truly eye-opening, and if you have had thoughts of going organic, this will definitely convince you.  
Now, I'm the first to admit that any documentary is shot through a specific lens (literal & figurative), so I'm sure it has its share of propaganda as well.  But, I couldn't help feeling convicted as I watched this film.
I've been doing a pretty fair job of buying organic veggies and fruits- they are only moderately priced above their non-organic counterparts.  But, I am also a fan of buying locally grown produce as well....even if it's not organic, at least it's grown on a local farm or garden...I feel like that's an even trade.  However, evidently produce isn't really the problem.
It's all about meat.
I have bought grass-fed beef before and really liked the taste.  However, it is significantly more expensive than "regular" beef.  Organic chicken is pretty easy to find- even in the normal grocery store- but again- it is crazy-expensive comparatively.  But, it does taste so good.  And have you had free-range eggs before?  Good gracious they are huge and so very tasty!
The thing is...Food, Inc.  really made me think about what I'm getting ready to feed my child.  My body has been inundated with processed, preserved food, but his body is a fresh pallet.  As I make his baby food, so far he's only had organic food, and I would love to keep it that way.  I want to teach Berkley (and challenge myself) to be good stewards of our earth and our bodies
So- here's my plan:
I am making a decision to feed Berkley organic foods.  For now that's just produce and grains, but soon it will grow to include meats and dairy.  Since I am making his food, it's very simple for us to just eat the same produce he is eating.  As he gets bigger and starts eating table food, our menus and foods will mesh.  So, by the time he is old enough to eat the same meals we are, organic foods will have worked their way fully into our budget and into our kitchen (at least in theory).
Now, I'm not saying my child will never eat the deliciousness that is Kraft Mac & Cheese with hot dogs...that's a bit drastic.  But I'd love for that the be a "special occasion" food, not an every week meal.  
So, for now, I am just going to try.  I buy organic milk & some dairy products.  I will try to buy organic meats when I can, and I will buy organic and locally grown produce almost exclusively. I will continue to use coupons for our "regular" groceries so that by saving money on those items I can spend a little more on organic foods.
If it just doesn't work to do buy these foods all the time, I won't be beating myself up about it, but I am going to put forth a concerted effort to improve the way we eat and the things we support by virtue of spending money on them.  
The film doesn't mention a faith element, but I can't help and believe that God wants us to take better care of our bodies and of the earth & animals we care for.  No one can argue that we haven't abused all that God has given us.  Perhaps we should take a step back and reassess our role as caretakers of this earth.
We won't be perfect, but trying is better than doing nothing at all.

2 comments:

Courtney Cassada said...

loved your post on this. my brain is pondering...and we'll definitely be making some changes!

Anonymous said...

Be careful with organics though, as they can end up being less healthy for you. One example would be with organic yogurt, and most yogurts in general, but brands like stonyfield farms use almost double the sugar content (as much or more than drinking 8 oz of soda). There are also alot of other factors to look in to about where the food is coming from. Organic is a really great movement, but eating local is another way to improve your health and community at the same time. And, as of now, GMO foods are not regulated meaning that we eat a whole lot more of stuff than we are aware. Another interesting documentary you may want to watch is King Corn, about the way the midwest has been shaped by industrial corn production. Going organic is a really great move, just be sure to look into some of the other elements of our agricultural system today.