Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Self-Control

Last year my friend Carrie dedicated a large portion of her blog to an exploration of the Fruits of the Spirit in her life. You know- love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (and yes, I'm singing a children's song in my head as I write these to help me remember all of them...oh the fruit of the spirit's not a cherry...oops, I digress!) It really is a great concept to keep yourself in check with who God intends for us to be and how God intends for us to live.
Of course, we all struggle with one or more of the fruits at any given time, but I consistently have a problem with self-control. I can't remember a time when that wasn't my #1 fruit struggle!
Today that was made abundantly clear to me. I have been doing such a good job lately of eating healthy foods, cooking at home, and not spending much money. My waistline and my bank account (and my husband) have been thanking me for it. But today, I just couldn't take it. I had to have Arby's for lunch. I knew I didn't need Arby's. I knew I could figure out something to eat here at the house. But, I got in the car and drove to Arby's for a chicken, bacon & swiss sandwich, curly fries and a Mt. Dew.
As soon as I bought it I started thinking about my lack of self-control (especially regarding food). I've really been eating a more healthy diet lately, and I've hardly spent money eating out in the last couple of weeks, but I was overcome with desire and I let it overtake me.
I realize that going to Arby's is not the end of the world. That one lunch alone is not going to clog my arteries or break our budget. But, the point remains. I knew I probably shouldn't go, and I did it anyway. No self-control. This is destined to be my life's struggle.
For the record, by the time I got home, got Berkley in bed for a nap and talked to my good friend (Hi Lori!) on the phone, my food was cold anyway. So, I ate about half the sandwich and about 4 curly fries. I'm not sure God makes "karma" happen in our lives, but I couldn't help but laugh & think God was probably laughing too at all the worrying I had done about that food when it didn't end up being that great of a lunch after all.

(But I did love that Mountain Dew!)

2 comments:

Jenn Beyer said...

I hear ya sister! I love me some Arby's curly fries! I usually go ahead and enjoy them and then work out a little extra to work 'em off :)

Courtney said...

i love how honest you are! and i loved your resolutions! and i can't sleep when pat is home, either! happy new year to you!!